The Library of the Augustinian Canons of Roudnice

The Augustinian canonry in Roudnice was founded in 1333 by the Prague bishop John IV. of Dražice and was subsequently well provided for also by his successors Ernst of Pardubice and John of Jenstein. It is generally considered to have served as a power base of the archbishops of Prague and thus to have been very influential for the formation and development of intellectual life in late medieval Bohemia. At the same time, neither the holdings of the library nor the writings of the canons of Roudnice have been thoroughly researched yet. The project aims to survey and analyse the manuscripts and texts written by the Augustinians in Roudnice, acquired by them, as well as those written by them during their exile (the canonry was destroyed in 1421 by the Hussites). Special emphasis will be placed on a detailed analysis of miscellaneous codices. Through establishing connections between the texts transmitted in these concrete codices, their models, as well as their vernacular translations, the project aims to contribute to the understanding of the exact role of this particular intellectual centre in the process of vernacularisation of elite Latin discourses, as well as its role in shaping the cultural and intellectual environment of late medieval Bohemia in general.

Medieval Manuscript Miscellanies at the Corpus Christi College Library in Cambridge

The project focuses on a group of manuscripts currently held at the Corpus Christi College in Cambridge (nos. 499-538, with some exceptions), which originated within the Prague University environment in late 14th century and then (in a so far unexplained way) moved to the Brigittine convent in Elbing (now Elbląg in Poland). The collection is a unique and so far almost completely neglected source on the character of intellectual discourse in the time of social and religious transformation before the outburst of the Hussite revolt in the first decades of the 15th century. The corpus will be examined and contextualized within the frame of late medieval scholastic and pastoral thinking in Bohemia and Central Europe.